Meatballs seem like a good idea for keto, but they are mostly loaded with breadcrumbs. Well, we can get around that. Here is a great keto-friendly recipe for no bread meatballs.
No Bread Meatballs
- 1/2 pound ground beef (around 85 % lean)
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp minced fresh parsely
- 1 tbsp grated onion
- 1 clove grated garlic
- Salt and Pepper to tasteSauce:
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
- 2 (28-ounce) cans whole or diced plum tomatoes
- 2 sprigs basil
- Salt and Pepper to tasteEvenly mix the beef and turkey in a bowl. Lightly sauté the onion and garlic in a pan so that the flavour is not so overpowering, let it cool and then add it to the meat along with the parmesan, cream, egg and parsley. Season to taste and mix well (but do not overmix).Lightly oil hands and roll 12 meatballs. Heat a large frying pan and spray a bit of oil. Add the meatballs to the pan (make sure it’s not overcrowded, if so do it in batches). Let them brown evenly on all sides and then remove them to a plate.On the same skillet do the sauce (or you can buy a pre-made one and just reheat and add the meatballs until they’re fully cooked).
Warm the oil, add garlic and cook until just lightly golden, add chili flakes if desired and cook for 30 seconds.
Stir in tomatoes and juices, basil and salt and pepper.
Bring sauce to a simmer and add the meatballs so they can fully cook, until sauce is thick and tomatoes have mostly fallen apart, about 30 minutes. Discard the basil and serve.
That’s a pretty easy recipe for some very delicious meatballs. Sure, there are some carbs, but not too much to where it will put your out of ketosis.
More keto-friendly recipes: